Up To 900 Romanians Will Arrive in Uk to Pick Fruit

Normski

I've saw different ppl on SM saying they and many ppl they know have applied for these jobs and heard nothing back,i'm sure a lot of UK folk would jump at this in uncertain financial times

Eastern Europeans to be flown in to pick fruit and veg

Eastern European farm workers are being flown to the UK on charter flights to pick fruit and vegetable crops.

Air Charter Service has told the BBC that the first flight will land on Thursday in Stansted carrying 150 Romanian farm workers.

The firm told the BBC that the plane is the first of up to six set to operate between mid-April and the end of June

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52293061

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Hairy Scot said:

Hmm

Makes you think, doesn't it?

From different things i've read it seems farmers don't want Brits as they pay way below the minimum wage and insist you live at the shithole accommodation on their land and the rent comes out of the wage

1 minute ago, Normski said:

From different things i've read it seems farmers don't want Brits as they pay way below the minimum wage and insist you live at the shithole accommodation on their land and the rent comes out of the wage

That does not surprise me

8 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

That does not surprise me

Not saying they are all like that btw

I've done spud and cabbage picking in my younger days to earn a few shackles

I worked on several farms and seasonal work is always cash in hand

In 1985 i was on a pound an hour and fuckers always paid you in £1 notes so you thought you were fucking rich with a wad of notes?

1 hour ago, Hairy Scot said:

Hmm

Makes you think, doesn't it?

They pay minimum wage, there has been some great documentaries where they have brit's doing it, Its all about how much you pick, so if you just lazy around you get minimum wage if you go all out and pick loads you get bonus on to, some earn about £17 an hour on average. 

Problem is it work in all weather, seasonal. long hours, people do not want to do it,  and if they put wages up and don't get the production the cost of that will be at the supermarket for us paying for it, one of the many problems with brexit. It is amazing how our media do not report much about the bad stuff that's going on