1 minute ago, UNIQUE said:

avist is a antivirus and will catch anything that might try to infect you.

Yeah, I have its free version installed but I'm not computer savvy mate hence why I ask these questions.....lol

4 minutes ago, Harold said:

Yeah, I have its free version installed but I'm not computer savvy mate hence why I ask these questions.....lol

i use AVG antivirus free version but they are all pretty much the same and will do the job. just remember you can only get a virus from a file not a internet page. so if you got a email with a file attached to it the email is safe but the file could be a virus. a firewall is there to stop you being hacked or getting a DOS but i havnt used a firewall for years and i have never had a problem. just stick with avist and download the free version of this and scan once a week and you will be fine mate https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/ 

3 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

just stick with avist and download the free version of this and scan once a week and you will be fine

Ah, right....I haven't been scanning regularly with avast because I have w thing called C Cleaner which I run once a week or so but I'll start doing that with avast.

Regards the link you posted...I actually have that also.

Cheers mate.

28 minutes ago, Harold said:

I've just had a pop up from 'Avast' saying it is advisable to put up a firewall....it had an activate button. Should this be done ?

21 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

its up to you but i never use a firewall. avist is a antivirus and will catch anything that might try to infect you. 

19 minutes ago, Harold said:

6 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

i use AVG antivirus free version but they are all pretty much the same and will do the job. just remember you can only get a virus from a file not a internet page. so if you got a email with a file attached to it the email is safe but the file could be a virus. a firewall is there to stop you being hacked or getting a DOS but i havnt used a firewall for years and i have never had a problem. just stick with avist and download the free version of this and scan once a week and you will be fine mate https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/ 

1 minute ago, Harold said:

Ah, right....I haven't been scanning regularly with avast because I have w thing called C Cleaner which I run once a week or so but I'll start doing that with avast.

Regards the link you posted...I actually have that also.

Cheers mate.

I have tried many anti-virus and Internet Security packages.
Avast, and AVG which is a clone of Avast, are resource hogs. They slow everything down.
The same is true of MacAfee, Kaspersky, PCProtect, Total Av, et al.
Windows Defender and its built in firewall do the same job more cheaply, both in terms of price and resource usage.
If you don't like Windows Defender then I would recommend Bullguard.

4 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

Windows Defender and its built in firewall do the same job more cheaply, both in terms of price and resource usage.
If you don't like Windows Defender then I would recommend Bullguard

I'm no meanie but these kinda things have to be paid for over the internet and as you know that's a no go for me. I don't do much on the computer....forums, e-mails and nothing financial so I aint paying for them.

11 minutes ago, Harold said:

I'm no meanie but these kinda things have to be paid for over the internet and as you know that's a no go for me. I don't do much on the computer....forums, e-mails and nothing financial so I aint paying for them.

In that case just make sure that Windows Defender and its firewall are both active and you'll be fine.
Which version of Windows do you run?

2 minutes ago, Mr Magnificent said:

And regularly updated.

Agreed, but set it to download and notify rather than automatic update and make sure that system restore is enabled.

Being a mainframe dinosaur I also advocate using a good backup package.
Windows 7 had a good one, but it seems to have disappeared in 8 and 10.

Edited by Guest

17 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

In that case just make sure that Windows Defender and its firewall are both active and you'll be fine.

how do I do that ?.....lol

18 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

Which version of Windows do you run?

7 mate.

4 minutes ago, Harold said:

how do I do that ?.....lol

7 mate.

Unless you turned it off or installed an AV product it's probably running.

It it's running you should see this image.png.925f3538f6e027f95687c33f088d7408.png on the taskbar at the bottom right of your screen

my AVG uses 0% cpu and 20mb of ram and i have 8gb of ram so my PC dont even know its there. if you are having problems with a slow system run task manager and see whats taking up resources. if it is your antivirus then uninstal it restart your pc and instal it again and that should fix it. 

8 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

my AVG uses 0% cpu and 20mb of ram and i have 8gb of ram so my PC dont even know its there. if you are having problems with a slow system run task manager and see whats taking up resources. if it is your antivirus then uninstal it restart your pc and instal it again and that should fix it. 

Do you work for Microsoft?  :thinking-face_1f914:

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Hairy Scot said:

I have tried many anti-virus and Internet Security packages.
Avast, and AVG which is a clone of Avast, are resource hogs. They slow everything down.
The same is true of MacAfee, Kaspersky, PCProtect, Total Av, et al.
If you don't like Windows Defender then I would recommend Bullguard.

Yes just stick with windows Defender ??

I have a Chromebook now and rarely use my Windows 10 laptop but I have Windows Defender on their protecting my computer and its free!!!

3 hours ago, Hairy Scot said:

nup....don't have that.

3 hours ago, Hairy Scot said:

I have avast anti virus installed.