You are a guest user Click to join the site!

How did everyone get involved in soccer.... What's the story behind your involvement and instigation in to the beautiful game.

For me, I was not interested in soccer when I was in Perth, for me footy was the sport of kings for the winter and cricket was the bastion of everything Australian in the summer. I had heard of soccer and seen it on the TV but never imagined I could warm to it. AFL offered so much more, run, kick, chase and catch.... mark! And kick on the goals. Fantastic. After suffering family trauma my Dad accepted a job offer to move to London and work in the head office, he took us all with him!!! I statrted to date my future husband who I met through playing cricket but he was curious about if I would watch a football match.... I accepted, and I went to see his team play. They beat Hayes and Yeading 8-0, I flet like a lucky charm and was taken back by the atmosphere for such a small ground. We made a bet, I would follow his team if he would watch Eagles matches with me on the TV. Since then I have been to a few away games and many home games and love the banter.... Maybe I am turning into a proper Football fan.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Cazza said:

For me, I was not interested in soccer when I was in Perth, for me footy was the sport of kings for the winter and cricket was the bastion of everything Australian in the summer. I had heard of soccer and seen it on the TV but never imagined I could warm to it. AFL offered so much more, run, kick, chase and catch.... mark! And kick on the goals. Fantastic. After suffering family trauma my Dad accepted a job offer to move to London and work in the head office, he took us all with him!!! I statrted to date my future husband who I met through playing cricket but he was curious about if I would watch a football match.... I accepted, and I went to see his team play. They beat Hayes and Yeading 8-0, I flet like a lucky charm and was taken back by the atmosphere for such a small ground. We made a bet, I would follow his team if he would watch Eagles matches with me on the TV. Since then I have been to a few away games and many home games and love the banter.... Maybe I am turning into a proper Football fan.

Sounds like you married the wrong bloke! 😂

Seriously though. I am from South Brum. Following BCFC was the done thing. No Villa shit in my neck if the woods. Vermin they are!

Just now, Mr Magnificent said:

Sounds like you married the wrong bloke! 😂

Seriously though. I am from South Brum. Following BCFC was the done thing. No Villa shit in my neck if the woods. Vermin they are!

I have found many times the heritage of following a football team is through family and geographical location, can never understand the following a team you can never go and watch and have no ties to it emotional or geographically.... Unless it's historic and a move away was the cause.... But interesting to see peoples perceptions of supporting a club. For us it was a no brainier it was West coast or the street, my dad is a proper Australian, his name is Craig and loves his AFL.

I was brought up in the South east of Glasgow until I was 12. We stayed 15minutes from Celtic park and about 20 from Shawfueld where a team called Clyde FC played. My dad was a Rangers fan and took me to Ibrox in my third Birthday I certainly don’t remember anything g about it the Score was Rangers 6 StMirren 0 in the league cup. So most home games he took me to Ibrox but when Rangers we’re away he would take me to Shawfield and on Occasion to see Celtic. As games on TV were few and far between he believed strongly the only way to get  know your rivals was to see them play. Those were different times in other ways while my dad and I went to Ibrox, from the age of 11 I was going with my mates to home games and he was going with his. 
I have five children all grown up 3 male 2 female 1 of the girls has no interest in football the four others are Rangers fans two are season ticket holders 2 go as much as they can and I try and get over to Glasgow as much as possible to see them 

it’s a family thing 

1 minute ago, Makdee said:

I was brought up in the South east of Glasgow until I was 12. We stayed 15minutes from Celtic park and about 20 from Shawfueld where a team called Clyde FC played. My dad was a Rangers fan and took me to Ibrox in my third Birthday I certainly don’t remember anything g about it the Score was Rangers 6 StMirren 0 in the league cup. So most home games he took me to Ibrox but when Rangers we’re away he would take me to Shawfield and on Occasion to see Celtic. As games on TV were few and far between he believed strongly the only way to get  know your rivals was to see them play. Those were different times in other ways while my dad and I went to Ibrox, from the age of 11 I was going with my mates to home games and he was going with his. 
I have five children all grown up 3 male 2 female 1 of the girls has no interest in football the four others are Rangers fans two are season ticket holders 2 go as much as they can and I try and get over to Glasgow as much as possible to see them 

it’s a family thing 

Very true, great your daughters are involved in football and sport in general. I am a very sporty person.... I have thrown things at the TV in disgust before.... I am a little chilled out now though.

5 minutes ago, Cazza said:

Very true, great your daughters are involved in football and sport in general. I am a very sporty person.... I have thrown things at the TV in disgust before.... I am a little chilled out now though.

Oh it’s bedlam in here when they are all about and a game is on 😂

i got into football late really. i watched the 1990 world cup and started following it more from there. when my mates were playing football i was more interested in chasing girls. i like to watch a bit of football but i dont let it take over my life like some fans. 

6 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

i got into football late really. i watched the 1990 world cup and started following it more from there. when my mates were playing football i was more interested in chasing girls. i like to watch a bit of football but i dont let it take over my life like some fans. 

That's me too. I am selective about watching football.

Two Premier League games on at the minute and Leeds game.

I am watching the cricket. 

It's an inbred phenomenon....if your dad (more so in my early years) was involved in some way with a sport, be it watcher or participant you were more than likely to follow him. Then you had sports at school....football (never soccer....such a poncey word), rugby, cricket where you had a choice. I've never believed in this...'you should support your local team' shite! My old man was a Rangers fan, took me to games...guess what I became ?...It aint fucking rocket science! Now I'm from the Falkirk area but went to Glasgow (and all over Scotland and a few European cities) to watch Rangers and tbh I wouldn't pay to watch Falkirk....no loyalty there tbh.

My whole family supports Middlesbrough so I naturally started to follow them, looking on ceefax for the latest scores or listening to the radio! My dad then got me a season ticket when Middlesbrough moved to the Riverside in 1995. There is a lot of pain in supporting Middlesbrough haha!!

41 minutes ago, Harold said:

shower of wall flowers mate......................but paid well over the odds to collapse when some fucker looks at them. Oh for a Souness, McKay, Chopper Harris eh?

did an experiment once when hazard played for chelsea. he got the ball and beat 3 players and was in on goal and i walked over and banged the top of the tv and the cunt fell over. true story that 😃

1 hour ago, Harold said:

shower of wall flowers mate......................but paid well over the odds to collapse when some fucker looks at them. Oh for a Souness, McKay, Chopper Harris eh?

Yup

Me and my hubby sometimes watch the old matches from the 70's & 80's the football pitches were a mud bath. If it were like that now then the match would be postponed Lol.

6 minutes ago, Catsmother said:

Yup

Me and my hubby sometimes watch the old matches from the 70's & 80's the football pitches were a mud bath. If it were like that now then the match would be postponed Lol.

They had some good shoulder charges back in the day which in today's game would be GBH or ABH haha, some where vicious.