You are a guest user Click to join the site!

It's time for FIFA to stop "gaslighting" goalkeepers

Guest Michael Varn

It's time for FIFA to make a rule change.  Ever since the world cup final of 1990, FIFA mandated that goalkeepers cannot pick up the ball when it is played back to them. This has gone on long enough. Goalkeepers on every level of soccer have looked like complete idiots by giving up the most ridiculous goals. There is a reason for this.  On the practice pitch, goalkerpers spend the lion share of their time using their hands, not their feet. Dealing with rolling balls with their feet is not what they do. So FIFA, please, when a ball is right in front of the goalkeeper, LET THEM PICK IT UP!....with their hands. Thank God, my playing days as a goalkeeper were over before the 1990 world cup final. If this rule was in effect when I played, I probably would have been playing another sport. If FIFA changes this rule, other governing bodies of soccer on every level will follow. Spread the word!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Guest Michael Varn said:

It's time for FIFA to make a rule change.  Ever since the world cup final of 1990, FIFA mandated that goalkeepers cannot pick up the ball when it is played back to them. This has gone on long enough. Goalkeepers on every level of soccer have looked like complete idiots by giving up the most ridiculous goals. There is a reason for this.  On the practice pitch, goalkerpers spend the lion share of their time using their hands, not their feet. Dealing with rolling balls with their feet is not what they do. So FIFA, please, when a ball is right in front of the goalkeeper, LET THEM PICK IT UP!....with their hands. Thank God, my playing days as a goalkeeper were over before the 1990 world cup final. If this rule was in effect when I played, I probably would have been playing another sport. If FIFA changes this rule, other governing bodies of soccer on every level will follow. Spread the word!

1 hour ago, Bastion said:

It's the very reason, why I stopped playing......

The rule came about in an attempt to eradicate the negative tactic of maintaining possession by passing the ball back to the goalkeeper.
But as is their wont, FIFA fucked it up.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one final thing to add about this. It was the 1990 World Cup final that led to this rule change. I would like to draw your attention to another World Cup Final. 2018 in Russia. If anyone is not clear about what Iam saying here, pay close attention to how Croatia scored their second goal.  Roll Tape!  But this brings up another question about the refs. Do they have any type of discretion, even though the goal may be legal, can they decide in the interest of fairness to disallow a goal like this? Because If I am the ref in the 2018 world cup final, and if Croatia's second goal was 1-2 instead of 4-2, with only a few minutes remaining, I would disallow the goal. Now this would have some interesting implications. Now if anyone in FIFA wants to overturn the call, they would not have alot of time to overule it, because the game would restart immediately. I can just imagine the looks on the faces from the Croatia bench, but once the toothpaste is out of the tube, you can't put it back! Which means once the game has restarted, the score will be 1-1 going into extra time! Wow, this would cause quite an uproar across the world, wouldn't it?

5 hours ago, M.V. Charleston S.C. USA said:

I have one final thing to add about this. It was the 1990 World Cup final that led to this rule change. I would like to draw your attention to another World Cup Final. 2018 in Russia. If anyone is not clear about what Iam saying here, pay close attention to how Croatia scored their second goal.  Roll Tape!  But this brings up another question about the refs. Do they have any type of discretion, even though the goal may be legal, can they decide in the interest of fairness to disallow a goal like this? Because If I am the ref in the 2018 world cup final, and if Croatia's second goal was 1-2 instead of 4-2, with only a few minutes remaining, I would disallow the goal. Now this would have some interesting implications. Now if anyone in FIFA wants to overturn the call, they would not have alot of time to overule it, because the game would restart immediately. I can just imagine the looks on the faces from the Croatia bench, but once the toothpaste is out of the tube, you can't put it back! Which means once the game has restarted, the score will be 1-1 going into extra time! Wow, this would cause quite an uproar across the world, wouldn't it?

and legal action ffs....

Get a grip man and gee peace......

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/07/2020 at 05:22, boro_boy said:

I thought this was done to increase the amount of goals and to make the game less boring. 

Yes, but the player should be able to play it back to the keeper just once, especially if there is pressure, not five consecutive times in a row. Yes, that is a delay of game. And there should be some kind of penalty for that.