My Oven just died!!! Look at my burt plug!!!

boro_boy

• Administrator

Was just cooking some wedges and I smelt a bit of burning but I just thought it was the oven as the missus hasn't used it for a while. But I come back to check on the wedges and the oven was off!!

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-22 at 19.17.06 (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-07-22 at 19.17.06 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-07-22 at 19.17.06.jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-07-22 at 19.17.05.jpeg

So tomorrow i'll be buying a new plug and socket and try to flash it up again ? 

The fuse didn't blow and the MCB didn't trip either, very strange!!!

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Bastion said:

I haven't seen an oven with a standard plug socket.........

It usually runs of a wall switch. 

2 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

dude you cant run a oven on a 13amp plug. they run on a thick 30amp cable. you could have burnt the house down. 

Its was fitted when I bought the house. Some ovens can run off a 13 amp plug. It has an isolation switch on the wall which goes down to the socket in the cupboard. 

Just now, boro_boy said:

Its was fitted when I bought the house. Some ovens can run off a 13 amp plug. It has an isolation switch on the wall which goes down to the socket in the cupboard. 

looking at that plug it is defo an overload. 

2 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

Looks overloaded mate....

For peace of mind, get a spark.....

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

looking at that plug it is defo an overload. 

2 minutes ago, Bastion said:

Looks overloaded mate....

For peace of mind, get a spark.....

I've had the oven for nearly 9 years so its probably on the way out, i'm going to try it again with new plug and socket then see what happens. The plug could have deteriorated over the years. Not paying an electrician when I can do some fault finding first!

I've done quite a bit of electrical shite in the navy so I have basics! ? 

3 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

I've had the oven for nearly 9 years so its probably on the way out, i'm going to try it again with new plug and socket then see what happens. The plug could have deteriorated over the years. Not paying an electrician when I can do some fault finding first!

I've done quite a bit of electrical shite in the navy so I have basics! ? 

Yeeooooo..... that's the spirit 

Undefeated :beer:

1 hour ago, boro_boy said:

Was just cooking some wedges and I smelt a bit of burning but I just thought it was the oven as the missus hasn't used it for a while. But I come back to check on the wedges and the oven was off!!

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-22 at 19.17.06 (2).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-07-22 at 19.17.06 (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-07-22 at 19.17.06.jpegWhatsApp Image 2020-07-22 at 19.17.05.jpeg

What the fuck?

You need a 30 amp fuse and its own cable into the fuseboard.

Dodgy set up mate. Your insurance would not have paid out for a fire. 

1 hour ago, boro_boy said:

Cable overload.

Didn't trip as it is dodgy. Needs its own circuit. 

Just now, superally said:

In the 21st century you really can.

well looking at the overloaded plug that burned out it looks like you really cant. if you wire your oven to a 30amp with a isolated trip switch you will never have a problem. a burned plug like that should have tripped a safty switch. 

1 minute ago, superally said:

Out of curiosity how many qualified electricians are amongst you all giving advice?

im not a qualified electricain but i connected my oven to a 30amp and it has never cought fire. 

6 minutes ago, superally said:

Out of curiosity how many qualified electricians are amongst you all giving advice?

i take it you are a qualified electrician so would you recommend a 13amp plug for a cooker or just go with the 30amp for safety

Edited by UNIQUE

1 hour ago, UNIQUE said:

@superally how many watts does his cooker use. 

How the feck would i know about his cooker FFS? Tho i am fairly confident if it wasn't deemed safe,regulations would never have allowed it. 9 years is a fair old time to go without a service or safety check tho. Some people are just too tight,or lack the common sense to get these things done. Then again some people claim to have profound knowledge,yet lack the basic grammatical skills required to know when, a sentence or word requires a capital letter. Each to their own eh?

Just now, superally said:

How the feck would i know about his cooker FFS? Tho i am fairly confident if it wasn't deemed safe,regulations would never have allowed it. 9 years is a fair old time to go without a service or safety check tho. Some people are just too tight,or lack the common sense to get these things done. Then again some people claim to have profound knowledge,yet lack the basic grammatical skills required to know when, a sentence or word requires a capital letter. Each to their own eh?

true. but i do know that fitting a cooker to a 30amp socket will stop a potential fire in your home and im pretty sure thats more important than a capital letter. Each to their own eh?

2 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

true. but i do know that fitting a cooker to a 30amp socket will stop a potential fire in your home and im pretty sure thats more important than a capital letter. Each to their own eh?

Safety check's, Pat testing, and servicing, will also do the same. Who the feck keeps a cooker for 9 years anyhow? I 100% guarantee they would not keep a mobile phone,or laptop for that amount of time. My oven and hob,both 13 amp,both tested annually,perfectly safe. Also grammatically correct. I'm happy with that,each to their own.