Covid-19 Related Job Losses continue!

boro_boy

2 hours ago, boro_boy said:

M&S to shed over 7,000 staff!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53817598

=========

When will the job losses end! 

our big high street M & S closed a couple of years and we now have only a food hall in the town's retail park. It is always busy so I would hope that it doesn't close. Tbh...I am seriously glad that I no longer have to work as it must be so bloody frightening & stressful for those depending on an income.

On 18/08/2020 at 17:37, Harold said:

our big high street M & S closed a couple of years and we now have only a food hall in the town's retail park. It is always busy so I would hope that it doesn't close. Tbh...I am seriously glad that I no longer have to work as it must be so bloody frightening & stressful for those depending on an income.

That's the key point right there, it closed a couple of years ago, as did the one where i used to live in Sutton Coldfield. Debenhams and M&S have been on their arses for years, only the food keeping M&S going. They have lagged behind the times, becoming stores that only a granny would buy their clothes from. And now after years of decline closures and job losses it's all Covid 19 to blame. More media scaremongering regarding M&S, and Debenhams.

44 minutes ago, superally said:

becoming stores that only a granny would buy their clothes from.

utter garbage mate....the wife and me have been buying clothing out of M&S for years before they closed in our high street. It certainly wasn't a shop for youngsters but they did a good trade with an older generation.

40 minutes ago, Harold said:

utter garbage mate....the wife and me have been buying clothing out of M&S for years before they closed in our high street. It certainly wasn't a shop for youngsters but they did a good trade with an older generation.

Not sure how many years out of touch you are with fashion fella, obviously a few decades or more. I can remember the early  casual era when M&S jumpers were deemed quite smart and desirable amongst young lads. That's the problem they are still selling those same jumpers decades later. Not garbage fella it's fact, they have not moved with the times, they may have fancy websites, and warehouses, tho they sell out of date products that nobody wants, not even the old uns with any style, 40 nowadays is the new 21. The world has moved forward these 2 stores have not. Not many 60 year old women want to buy a dress designed for an 80 year old now, they all like to look a bit younger and smarter, rather than be seen to be wearing something their granny used to wear.

3 minutes ago, superally said:

Not sure how many years out of touch you are with fashion fella,

I believe I've told you before I don't do fashion. It doesn't do anything for me but obviously you are enthralled by it...each to their own though.

5 minutes ago, superally said:

Not garbage fella it's fact,

actually it is garbage...when was the last time you went into an M&S looking for your designer clothing ? We were in regular and for you to say it's a place where only grannies would buy stuff simply shows your ignorance.

8 minutes ago, superally said:

Not many 60 year old women want to buy a dress designed for an 80 year old now,

your head is so far up your own arse it is quite laughable ffs....lol you actually believe what you say.....lol

9 minutes ago, superally said:

rather than be seen to be wearing something their granny used to wear.

try using your mouth and give your arse a rest mate....lol....unbelievable shite!

20 minutes ago, Harold said:

I believe I've told you before I don't do fashion. It doesn't do anything for me but obviously you are enthralled by it...each to their own though.

actually it is garbage...when was the last time you went into an M&S looking for your designer clothing ? We were in regular and for you to say it's a place where only grannies would buy stuff simply shows your ignorance.

your head is so far up your own arse it is quite laughable ffs....lol you actually believe what you say.....lol

try using your mouth and give your arse a rest mate....lol....unbelievable shite!

The outlook of a true dinosaur. I seriously do not deem that so dated outlook worthy of a response. RIP M&S.

Guest Red Devil

I'm 38 years of age and the majority of lads I know around my age group have still got the designer label bug. 

Stone Island, La Coste, Hugo Boss, Ralph Lauren there my main makes I tend to go for, I've recently bought a few Barbor polo's because they were good value. 

I'd never buy menswear from M&S and I think anyone younger than me would feel the same. I've always felt it was an older generation clothing shop. 

But then that could be just the mindset of people in my area, maybe its different elsewhere. 

Guest Red Devil
3 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

my son lost his job last week because of covid. 

Shit that, know the feeling. 

How old is he? 

It's hard on the younger lads as they haven't got years of experience to fall back on. 

I just drilled everyone in my industry and got lucky but I did apply for few random jobs and chased them up only to be told companies are getting four to five times the usual applications. 

Hope he gets sorted. 

Guest Red Devil

Unique, what's been posted above is nonsense, the jobs are short in number and a lot more are applying but the salaries haven't changed.. 

Not in my industry anyway. 

9 minutes ago, Red Devil said:

Shit that, know the feeling. 

How old is he? 

It's hard on the younger lads as they haven't got years of experience to fall back on. 

I just drilled everyone in my industry and got lucky but I did apply for few random jobs and chased them up only to be told companies are getting four to five times the usual applications. 

Hope he gets sorted. 

he has used his time between job hunting and being a man whore tbh. 😆

Guest Red Devil
1 minute ago, UNIQUE said:

he has used his time between job hunting and being a man whore tbh. 😆

Nowt wrong with that, we've all done it. 

Good luck to him on that front, once your tied down you appreciate it. 

9 hours ago, Red Devil said:

I'm 38 years of age and the majority of lads I know around my age group have still got the designer label bug. 

Stone Island, La Coste, Hugo Boss, Ralph Lauren there my main makes I tend to go for, I've recently bought a few Barbor polo's because they were good value. 

I'd never buy menswear from M&S and I think anyone younger than me would feel the same. I've always felt it was an older generation clothing shop. 

But then that could be just the mindset of people in my area, maybe its different elsewhere. 

and you're fully entitled to buy and wear what you desire mate. I'm certainly not going to criticise you nor anyone else about what they buy & from where they buy their gear.

9 hours ago, Red Devil said:

that's fair enough and it is for an older generation but that doesn't mean that it is only coffin dodgers, as suggested by Realist, that shop there. I'm 65 now and I've been buying my jeans, jackets, some t-shirts, underwear, socks, shoes from M&S since my 30's.....simply because there menswear suits me and as I previously said I don't do designer gear.

10 hours ago, superally said:

The outlook of a true dinosaur. I seriously do not deem that so dated outlook worthy of a response. RIP M&S.

yep, a dinosaur in some ways but still sharp enough to smell bullshit when it appears....lol

Guest Red Devil
46 minutes ago, Harold said:

and you're fully entitled to buy and wear what you desire mate. I'm certainly not going to criticise you nor anyone else about what they buy & from where they buy their gear.

that's fair enough and it is for an older generation but that doesn't mean that it is only coffin dodgers, as suggested by Realist, that shop there. I'm 65 now and I've been buying my jeans, jackets, some t-shirts, underwear, socks, shoes from M&S since my 30's.....simply because there menswear suits me and as I previously said I don't do designer gear.

Mate please don't take it as I'm putting the place down, I'm fully aware M&S pride themselves on quality. 

8 minutes ago, Red Devil said:

Mate please don't take it as I'm putting the place down, I'm fully aware M&S pride themselves on quality. 

No, I didn't take it that way RD. I appreciate your opinion which was given without knocking the place.