The British Empire

A classic misnomer. It's was actually The English Empire. Built on the blood of the Scots, Welsh and Irish, but run by the English as is the UK today.
Why do the peoples of Ireland, Wales, and Scotland bow down to Westminster?

Details your thoughts in no more than 500 words.

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, Bastion said:

Why does a Scot bow down to Jacinda Ardern?

I don't mate. We are on opposite sides of the political spectrum.
However, I am compelled to respect the laws of the land.

1 minute ago, Bastion said:

Why do you bow to the NZ government then?

When one settles in a country one accepts the rules and mores of that country.

8 minutes ago, Bastion said:

when one lives in country,  one accepts the rules.....

You answered your own question. 

I was not aware I had asked a question,
I made a statement. Back in the days of colonialism very few people had a choice in their own destiny.
For example; in Wellington's forces the officers and non-com officers were English while the troops were Welsh, Irish, Scots.
That set up devolved into the class system which was the mainstay of "The British Empire" for centuries.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

I was not aware I had asked a question,
I made a statement. Back in the days of colonialism very few people had a choice in their own destiny.
For example; in Wellington's forces the officers and non-com officers were English while the troops were Welsh, Irish, Scots.
That set up devolved into the class system which was the mainstay of "The British Empire" for centuries.

tea break is over....

I will highlight your question later.... then we can discuss 

1 minute ago, Bastion said:

tea break is over....

I will highlight your question later.... then we can discuss 

So long as we keep to historical fact, no problem.
Mind you, I'd think an Irishman would have little sympathy for The British Empire.

Reports have suggested that Holyrood would need to raise up to £6 billion for Scotland’s economic recovery after Covid 19.

The Scottish tax payer alone cannot raise this amount of money.  Scotland definitely has a dependency on Westminster to assist with this unless there are other ways of raising the money?

5 minutes ago, Mr Magnificent said:

Reports have suggested that Holyrood would need to raise up to £6 billion for Scotland’s economic recovery after Covid 19.

The Scottish tax payer alone cannot raise this amount of money.  Scotland definitely has a dependency on Westminster to assist with this unless there are other ways of raising the money?

There were a number of ways but...........................................

6 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

There were a number of ways but...........................................

I'm all ears..... Where is the £6 billion coming from if not Westminster?

I would remind you that Scotland has had £780 million from Westminster so far to fight Covid. No doubt accepted too. 

1 minute ago, Mr Magnificent said:

I would remind you that Scotland has had £780 million from Westminster so far to fight Covid. No doubt accepted too. 

As an expat I may well be out of order but do the taxes paid by Scots/Irish/Welsh give a reciprocal return in benefits received by those regions?

11 minutes ago, Mr Magnificent said:

So?

Irrespective of what is alleged to have happened in bygone days of yore............in the here and now, which we should all be more concerned with.....

3 hours ago, Hairy Scot said:

but run by the English as is the UK today.

Is it really ? How do the people of Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland bow down to Westminster ? I haven't seen any forelock tugging recently, or at all tbh.

Scotland has numerous devolved powers which they should be getting on with and using to run the country...

The Scottish Government runs the country in relation to matters that are devolved from Westminster.

This includes: the economy, education, health, justice, rural affairs, housing, environment, equal opportunities, consumer advocacy and advice, transport and taxation. The power to set a Scottish rate of income tax is a new addition to our responsibilities and further powers will be devolved to Scotland over the coming years.

Personally I, and you know this fine well Hairy so it won't come as any surprise, would rather be governed by Westminster than a one trick pony aka the separatists who, amongst other failures, have introduced the highest income tax rates for middle to high earners in the UK....all introduced by the invisible man who likes to chat up young boys who has the gall still to retain his position as an MSP despite having done zilch since he was outed.

3 hours ago, Hairy Scot said:

So long as we keep to historical fact, no problem.
Mind you, I'd think an Irishman would have little sympathy for The British Empire.

You assume I'm going to distort the thread with lies?

Well, its not about your thinking,  hence the question you put to us all? I assume?..... or just the Scots and Irish?

I'll highlight the question you asked now, since you don't remember, the one in your opening post.....

4 hours ago, Hairy Scot said:

A classic misnomer. It's was actually The English Empire. Built on the blood of the Scots, Welsh and Irish, but run by the English as is the UK today.

Details your thoughts in no more than 500 words.

so you kind of answered it yourself..... regards, living within the rules of the country you reside......