Serbia v SCOTLAND. Playoff Final, Belgrade, Thursday 12th November 1945 KO

Winston Ingram

What are we thinking Scotland fans? 90 minutes away from qualifying for a major tournament for the first time since 98.

Can we do it? 

I think the penalty shootout win against Israel was a big weight off the players shoulders. Hopefully Steve Clarke can set up to sit in and nick a goal on the counter and we can get there! lets go! 

15 minutes ago, Makdee said:

Nah he normally puts Tierney out to the right which I hate he is not a right back Dobt squeeze players in for the sake of it 

Or he plays Tierney CB and Robbo LWB therefore playing both out of them out of position! Ridiculous and so frustrating. We have Gordon who is playing well and Martin who is the regular GK, so are we going to play one of them CB? of course we wouldn't so why do it with left backs? Don't even get me started on playing Tierney CB and McTominay CB (both out of position) over Liam Gordon who captained Leeds back to the premier league and their amazing start in the league! 

Guest Red Devil

If I were Scotland manager I'd play a five at the back with Tierney tucked inside left and Robertson at wing back. 

Roberston effectively plays wing back for Liverpool anyway. 

8 minutes ago, Harold said:

How would Robertson be out of position at Left wing back Winston ?

Excellent question Harold. Just done some research on this to get my facts straight. So the act of playing Robertson LWB itself isn't the issue, so I can retract that. It is more the formation we force both into. So for Liverpool Robbo plays LB of a 4 behind 3 CMs and 3 forwards, all rotating but starting on the wing and cutting in to the striker. So therefore Robbo has the entire left side of the pitch to run up and whip crosses in. 

Scotland play 541 (arguable, depending on how you look at formations) but basically, 3 CBs 2 WBs, 3CMs, 2 wingers and a lone striker. So Robbo starts higher up the pitch due to the 3 CBs, and doesn't have as far to advance due to the winger who sticks out wide playing in front of him. Fraser & Forrest in the Israel game. 

Basically you end up with Tierney and Robbo who for their clubs both like to roam up with wing and whip in crosses, you have Tierney playing left of a back 3 so can't go forward anywhere near as much, and Robbo playing LWB/LM behind a LW so no room to go up the wing without getting in the wingers way!

5 minutes ago, Winston Ingram said:

Excellent question Harold. Just done some research on this to get my facts straight. So the act of playing Robertson LWB itself isn't the issue, so I can retract that. It is more the formation we force both into. So for Liverpool Robbo plays LB of a 4 behind 3 CMs and 3 forwards, all rotating but starting on the wing and cutting in to the striker. So therefore Robbo has the entire left side of the pitch to run up and whip crosses in. 

Scotland play 541 (arguable, depending on how you look at formations) but basically, 3 CBs 2 WBs, 3CMs, 2 wingers and a lone striker. So Robbo starts higher up the pitch due to the 3 CBs, and doesn't have as far to advance due to the winger who sticks out wide playing in front of him. Fraser & Forrest in the Israel game. 

Basically you end up with Tierney and Robbo who for their clubs both like to roam up with wing and whip in crosses, you have Tierney playing left of a back 3 so can't go forward anywhere near as much, and Robbo playing LWB/LM behind a LW so no room to go up the wing without getting in the wingers way!

excellent post mate and I wouldn't argue with anyone over tactics.....guess why ?....lol. It was just what you said about Robertson cos when I watch Liverpool in games what he does is what I would class as a LWB.

3 minutes ago, Harold said:

excellent post mate and I wouldn't argue with anyone over tactics.....guess why ?....lol. It was just what you said about Robertson cos when I watch Liverpool in games what he does is what I would class as a LWB.

Yeah I completely understand, I forgot you guys can't see my thought process for every post so just saying he was out of position didn't make much sense 😂

I play a lot of football manager so therefore I know a bit about tactics haha

Right troops what team we seeing tonight? 

Team I think he will play:

Marshall 

O'donnell, McTominay, Gallacher, Tierney, Robertson

Jack, McGinn, Mcgregor

Christie

Dykes 

Not overly against that team, personally I can't understand how Cooper who captained Leeds back to the Prem and in their good start can't get in ahead of a guy that doesn't play regularly for Man U in midfield out of position. I also don't think McGregor has sown how good he is recently and should be replaced, probably by Armstrong or McLean but can't see it.