The Americanisation of The Antipodes

Both Australia and New Zealand have become very Americanised, but this may well be down to the wishes of some people to remove all connections with the mother country.

Both countries adopted the dollar as their currency, but thankfully we still drive on the left of the road.
Australia has apparently adopted the American misspelling of some words such as colour and labour, but this has thankfully not spread to NZ.
However the mispronunciation of words like privacy, vitamin, simultaneous, is very common in both countries, as is the use of the word "restrooms" for lavatories.

BTW, if you ever have to complete an Australian immigration form just be careful when answering the question "Do you have a criminal record?".
Answers like "I was not aware that was still a requirement", or "Deck of Cards by Max Bygraves", are not considered appropriate.

It may well be a pacific rim thing and the fct the USA has a big influence in the Pacific area, they are also an English speaking country but as I have stated before we get alot of their TV shows.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Cazza said:

It may well be a pacific rim thing and the fct the USA has a big influence in the Pacific area, they are also an English speaking country but as I have stated before we get alot of their TV shows.

Oh we get bombarded with all their stuff too. Some of it is pretty good though. 

Another 3 worlds I hate the way Americans pronounce are, Router, Rout and Data

17 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

Both Australia and New Zealand have become very Americanised, but this may well be down to the wishes of some people to remove all connections with the mother country.

Both countries adopted the dollar as their currency, but thankfully we still drive on the left of the road.
Australia has apparently adopted the American misspelling of some words such as colour and labour, but this has thankfully not spread to NZ.
However the mispronunciation of words like privacy, vitamin, simultaneous, is very common in both countries, as is the use of the word "restrooms" for lavatories.

BTW, if you ever have to complete an Australian immigration form just be careful when answering the question "Do you have a criminal record?".
Answers like "I was not aware that was still a requirement", or "Deck of Cards by Max Bygraves", are not considered appropriate.

i hate the way the yanks say aluminium

1 minute ago, boro_boy said:

I never took my HND so not educated until recently.

1 minute ago, boro_boy said:

The worst offence occurred in the 60s when use of "different to" and "different than" suddenly increased because of exposure to American TV shows.

Just now, boro_boy said:

@Hairy Scot @Cazza do NZ and Aus pronounce Aluminium, Route, Router and Data the yank way?

Some pronounce route and router with the 'ow' sound.

Haven't heard anyone say aluminum.

I'm not sure how you think that data should be pronounced. In NZ it is pronounced 'dah tah' not 'day tah', which I think is correct given the latin roots of the word.

2 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

I'm not sure how you think that data should be pronounced. In NZ it is pronounced 'dah tah' not 'day tah', which I think is correct given the latin roots of the word.

do the yanks say dat tah

14 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

To be fair they probably don't think much of the way you pronounce those words either. 😂

6 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

@Hairy Scot @Cazza do NZ and Aus pronounce Aluminium, Route, Router and Data the yank way?

Root has an entirely different meaning.

But it is generally the same as the UK. The ethos of Australian English is too shorten everything g'day thisavo bbq and such, my Dad has said this was more pronounced in the eighties.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Hairy Scot said:

dayta is what i'm used to in England.

In Scotland they say dahta 

5 minutes ago, Cazza said:

Root has an entirely different meaning.

But it is generally the same as the UK. The ethos of Australian English is too shorten everything g'day thisavo bbq and such, my Dad has said this was more pronounced in the eighties.

First time I heard "Did you get a root?" I was a bit puzzled.  :chuckling-gesture-smiley-emoticon: