DNR

Normski

I find this disgusting,disturbing,sinister......

Asking someone to sign a DNR after a minor stroke....WTF

Then it's in notes do not attempt CPR

The reason i started this thread,a family friend's mother was admitted several times over a few weeks earlier this year

They bullied her for weeks to sign the DNR,she refused saying she wanted to live.....in the end she signed......then died

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Normski said:

The reason i started this thread,a family friend's mother was admitted several times over a few weeks earlier this year

They bullied her for weeks to sign the DNR,she refused saying she wanted to live.....in the end she signed......then died

Yeah that's not right in the slightest!!!

How can they be trusted with peoples lives, someone needs to lose their job and their license!!

13 hours ago, Normski said:

If a family is asked once and refuses....End of! There should be no further requests. What you say about your friend's mother is absolutely disgusting. And as for what Ruth Davidson says....whoever wrote that in the notes should be fucking booted. Dreadful.

15 hours ago, Normski said:

I agree. Very troubling.
Opting to wear a DNR bracelet or siging mandate is a personal matter, it's not even a family matter, let alone something for hospital staff to determine or request.

I have to say, I am sure there is much more reasons that a stroke to being asked to sign a DNR. The whole purpose of a DNR is so the doctors and nurses can focus their time on CPR (which is extremely hard work) on patients who will have a quality of life. Obviously this is hard to hear if it is your family member but it may be better for then not to be resuscitated as they may just slip back into another seizure and go into shock. They don't recommend these forms so they don't have to do their job, if you have a DNR in place you will still be treated the same as everyone else unless your heart stops, it won't be restarted. Usually these are recommended for very old people with lots of underlying health conditions that would mean they will either have no quality of life after or their body may not be able to handle to shock of being brought back. Also I feel it is worth pointing out people don't die because they have a DNR, they die for whatever health reasons they had to go to hospital for and then they are not brought back for their own quality of life. 

13 minutes ago, Winston Ingram said:

I have to say, I am sure there is much more reasons that a stroke to being asked to sign a DNR. The whole purpose of a DNR is so the doctors and nurses can focus their time on CPR (which is extremely hard work) on patients who will have a quality of life. Obviously this is hard to hear if it is your family member but it may be better for then not to be resuscitated as they may just slip back into another seizure and go into shock. They don't recommend these forms so they don't have to do their job, if you have a DNR in place you will still be treated the same as everyone else unless your heart stops, it won't be restarted. Usually these are recommended for very old people with lots of underlying health conditions that would mean they will either have no quality of life after or their body may not be able to handle to shock of being brought back. Also I feel it is worth pointing out people don't die because they have a DNR, they die for whatever health reasons they had to go to hospital for and then they are not brought back for their own quality of life. 

medical background Winston ?

Just now, Harold said:

medical background Winston ?

Not me but the Mrs Dug. I have heard enough stories from her to know these forms are not just put in for no reason. 

As I said for that family it would be difficult to hear, of course. But it is done on a medical basis and there is multiple reasons for it.