How Do People Just Know?

superally

Gut instinct or what?

Approx a mile down the road from me, there is a retirement park, I think it's for over 55's.

Anyhow I cross paths with a fair few of them, whether walking the dog, or (when it's open) the local pub, I find them decent people, often I have a chat with them, anyhow- here's the weird part.

Myself and Mrs SA, decided to send them all an Xmas card with the words,  Pax et concordia written inside, which is Latin for peace and harmony, nothing else was written, not who it's to or from. Like I say nothing else was written. We decided to put £20 in each card, so these cards are basically anonymous. I walked around posting them around 1am this morning. Not a single light was on, and I was quiet in posting them, due to thinking they are all asleep and not wanting to wake them up, also not a single dog barked.

Around 8am, a knock at the door, with a guy waving a £20 note at Mrs SA, saying I can't take this, he wasn't the only one, there were several others shortly after.

She refused to take it back, saying it's been such a shitty year, etc, etc, just enjoy it.

My issue is, how the feck did he/they know where it came from?.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, superally said:

Gut instinct or what?

Approx a mile down the road from me, there is a retirement park, I think it's for over 55's.

Anyhow I cross paths with a fair few of them, whether walking the dog, or (when it's open) the local pub, I find them decent people, often I have a chat with them, anyhow- here's the weird part.

Myself and Mrs SA, decided to send them all an Xmas card with the words,  Pax et concordia written inside, which is Latin for peace and harmony, nothing else was written, not who it's to or from. Like I say nothing else was written. We decided to put £20 in each card, so these cards are basically anonymous. I walked around posting them around 1am this morning. Not a single light was on, and I was quiet in posting them, due to thinking they are all asleep and not wanting to wake them up, also not a single dog barked.

Around 8am, a knock at the door, with a guy waving a £20 note at Mrs SA, saying I can't take this, he wasn't the only one, there were several others shortly after.

She refused to take it back, saying it's been such a shitty year, etc, etc, just enjoy it.

My issue is, how the feck did he/they know where it came from?.

If one knows, they'll all eventually know. Maybe. Your not at quiet as you think haha. Nice gesture though, if you have the money 👍.

Just now, UNIQUE said:

they saw you get out of your BMW and thought thats where the £20 came from 🤣 also why the fuck would you write in latin 🤣

Walked all the way fella, I think the Latin was a smart touch myself. It was a nice mysterious gesture.

How would you have done it then?  I would appreciate your input here, if 2021 is half as shitty a year as 2020, what can I do next year? 

All I am doing here fella, is trying to put a smile on people's faces after such a shitty year, not somehow mock what car a person drives, or how they went about at least trying to put a smile on some peoples faces.

I would also be curious as to what you yourself have done regarding this type of hing. Please explain anything you have done. 

I'm sure the decent folk on here would like to hear a nice story.

1 minute ago, superally said:

Walked all the way fella, I think the Latin was a smart touch myself. It was a nice mysterious gesture.

How would you have done it then?  I would appreciate your input here, if 2021 is half as shitty a year as 2020, what can I do next year? 

All I am doing here fella, is trying to put a smile on people's faces after such a shitty year, not somehow mock what car a person drives, or how they went about at least trying to put a smile on some peoples faces.

I would also be curious as to what you yourself have done regarding this type of hing. Please explain anything you have done. 

I'm sure the decent folk on here would like to hear a nice story.

i would have spent the money on beer and cheap hookers but thats just me. 🤣

7 minutes ago, boro_boy said:

Well maybe they have access to Security Cameras so they can see who was luring about during the night!!

No way fella, the football scene has well taught me the dangers of CCTV, added to the fact it was wet-windy-and freezing cold, I was well covered. No way does CCTV get me.

If they are over 55's they are probably comfortable any way.

Maybe they saw your Secret Santa act as charity and didn't want it? Who knows? 

I will be honest if one of my neighbours have me a £20 in a card I would feel uncomfortable but that is just me. Good on you for sharing your vast wealth. 

3 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

still waiting 🤣

As am I for the question I asked you!

4 minutes ago, Mr Magnificent said:

If they are over 55's they are probably comfortable any way.

Maybe they saw your Secret Santa act as charity and didn't want it? Who knows? 

I will be honest if one of my neighbours have me a £20 in a card I would feel uncomfortable but that is just me. Good on you for sharing your vast wealth. 

Agree 100%, I would feel uneasy with it too.

I just don't get how somebody could know or assume, and be knocking on our door at 8am.

1 minute ago, superally said:

As am I for the question I asked you!

Agree 100%, I would feel uneasy with it too.

I just don't get how somebody could know or assume, and be knocking on our door at 8am.

Then begs the question, if you would feel uneasy receiving it then why do it? Not knocking you by the way. It is a fabulous gesture that you share your riches in the local community.

Maybe they worked it out? You have the big house, lots of building work going on, quad bikes, big BMW? Folk pick up on these things quickly. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Magnificent said:

Out of interest how many homes/people did you donate a £20 to? 

It was only 28, It was just a random thought in the hope of putting a smile on a few people's faces, no big deal really.

I'm far more concerned at the moment helping 2 charities who have helped/advise me, concerning access and facilities for the disabled.

I mean the genuine disabled, not the fat feckers who sit on their arses all day eating burger and chips every hour, get fat then claim disability allowance, or the druggies/alcoholics. Genuine disabled people-not the feckers who give them a bad name.

Just now, superally said:

It was only 28, It was just a random thought in the hope of putting a smile on a few people's faces, no big deal really.

I'm far more concerned at the moment helping 2 charities who have helped/advise me, concerning access and facilities for the disabled.

I mean the genuine disabled, not the fat feckers who sit on their arses all day eating burger and chips every hour, get fat then claim disability allowance, or the druggies/alcoholics. Genuine disabled people-not the feckers who give them a bad name.

so why did you feel the need to tell us about it and make the others feel bad 🤣

4 minutes ago, Mr Magnificent said:

Then begs the question, if you would feel uneasy receiving it then why do it? Not knocking you by the way. It is a fabulous gesture that you share your riches in the local community.

Never even thought about making them feel uneasy until afterwards. All I/we wanted to do, was put a smile on a few peoples faces after such a shitty year.

Have you ever found any money in the street?

If so what was your reaction?