Never Forgotten - Rest in Peace my Fellow Bears

Harold

The 2nd January, 2021, will be the 50th anniversary of what is known as The Ibrox disaster, when the unthinkable happened and 66 Rangers supporters who had attended the league match against Celtic never returned home much to the despair and horror of their families and friends and fellow supporters. I was at that game but as it happens I should have been nowhere near Ibrox on that fateful day. A day or two before Hogmanay my dad, mum, young brother and me were in the car heading for Chesterfield where we intended to spend New Year with my aunt and uncle. However not long after we left home my mum took unwell so my dad turned about and drove us home. I managed to get a ticket and me and my pal went to the game on our supporters bus. It was a dull, freezing cold day but the thought of the game warmed us up no end. 

I don't mind much about the game apart from the last minute or so....wee Jinky Johnstone scored in the last minute for Celtic to put them 0-1 in front. As we were standing near the top of the terracing near to Stairway 13 we decided just to make our way out to avoid the crowd and any crush. But as we were about 6 steps down on Stairway 13 we heard the most tremendous cheering from the Rangers fans......Rangers had equalised thanks to Colin Stein. I saw Celtic take kick off then made my way down the stairs....it wasn't overly busy so we got down safely not knowing what was to occur, what....perhaps 30 seconds later.

It was very foggy and traffic was nose to tail and I was fairly late in getting home. Obviously my parents were out of their mind with worry having heard news updates on tv. My mum and gran were standing at the bus stop where I was dropped off. I hadn't a clue to the reason for this and their reactions when they saw me until they told me what had happened.

I was lucky that day and There but for the grace of God go I.

This time of the year and especially 2nd of January is very poignant to me and many thousands of Rangers supporters. There was an article on STV news last week about that day....I'm not ashamed to say I was in tears, so much so my wife had to come through and ask me what was the matter.....until she saw what was on the tv. God knows what I'll be like on Saturday.

Rest in Peace Fellow Bears.....Never Forgotten.

The Rangers family can't be together but it will never forget on the  anniversary of the Ibrox Disaster | Glasgow Times

Like @HaroldI was also there that day as a 16 year old. As normal I had met up at a mates house for a few drinks before heading over to the game. We normally stood just at the left hand side of Stairway 13. I was going back to one of my mates houses to help him get his place ready as he was having a party his mum and dad were planning to go to Edinburgh for a couple of days to relatives. We decided that we would walk round to the Celtic end near the end of the game as it would be easier to get to his place that way. Anyway when they scored we decided to start walking round so scarfs were tucked out of sight and off we went. We saw the equaliser and left the ground happy. We walked for s as bit and saw some ambulances our thoughts were that it was a traffic accident. Non the wiser we got a bus and went on our way. After we arrived at our stop and walking to the mates house we see his mum and dad who should already have left out on the street and the shouts and tears when they seen us and told us what happened I will never forget. I tried for ages to get in touch with my parents who were up in East Kilbride at a family party and also tried to get in touch with the other boys it turns out two of them had slight injuries but they were all ok other than shock. Like Harold it doesn’t take much to set me off when programs about the 66 come on tv or radio. Not a day goes by that at some point my mind wanders to that day. Fifty years ago this Saturday 66 went to a game and never went home R.I.P.

532A6C15-35E2-4464-96B7-A8AA29DCADF5.jpeg

I've just had a good greet....was watching a bit about the disaster in Sky Sports in the build up to the game and a couple of fans were interviewed. It never leaves you but these memories aren't good.....just got to live with them and consider myself lucky.

Just now, Harold said:

I've just had a good greet....was watching a bit about the disaster in Sky Sports in the build up to the game and a couple of fans were interviewed. It never leaves you but these memories aren't good.....just got to live with them and consider myself lucky.

Yup it wasn’t easy Ian Loch that was on was a neighbour of mine 

3 minutes ago, Makdee said:

Yup it wasn’t easy Ian Loch that was on was a neighbour of mine 

Jeezo....no long seen a post on Rangers Archives from a guy Paul Jenkins. I don't know him but looks like he was on the same bus as me and my mate that day.