Sad News

Harold

The wife and I came to a decision this morning and took our old man to the vet and he was put to sleep. The cat he had become just wasn't him. He was basically wasting away, ate very little since I last posted, had that problem with his eye etc etc. He ate nothing from tea time yesterday and nothing this morning. What really hit home was that every night he would come over and cuddle into the wife but the past two nights he just wasn't interested and went through to the front room curled up into a ball on the sofa and that was him till late the next morning....that just wasn't him. The vet told the wife that that behaviour is them distancing themselves from human contact....we do know that some cats just go off to die and we couldn't live with that. We also couldn't watch him like he was for another month when he was booked in for his teeth x-rays. So a hard decision had to be taken. Sorry for appearing so soppy but he was one of the family and he had a good, comfy last 8 years of his life.

R I P Leo....2008-2021

IMG0012A.jpg

7 minutes ago, Harold said:

The wife and I came to a decision this morning and took our old man to the vet and he was put to sleep. The cat he had become just wasn't him. He was basically wasting away, ate very little since I last posted, had that problem with his eye etc etc. He ate nothing from tea time yesterday and nothing this morning. What really hit home was that every night he would come over and cuddle into the wife but the past two nights he just wasn't interested and went through to the front room curled up into a ball on the sofa and that was him till late the next morning....that just wasn't him. The vet told the wife that that behaviour is them distancing themselves from human contact....we do know that some cats just go off to die and we couldn't live with that. We also couldn't watch him like he was for another month when he was booked in for his teeth x-rays. So a hard decision had to be taken. Sorry for appearing so soppy but he was one of the family and he had a good, comfy last 8 years of his life.

R I P Leo....2008-2021

IMG0012A.jpg

That's terrible mate, sorry to hear this.

1 hour ago, Harold said:

R I P Leo....2008-2021

IMG0012A.jpg

Very sad to hear they are a member of the family and well missed when they depart.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Harold said:

R I P Leo....2008-2021

IMG0012A.jpg

Sorry to hear that mate 😞 its awful when you lose a pet. I just remember all the good times we had with one another and that you give your pet, which is a massive part of the family, the best and happiest life possible. 👍

Guest Red Devil

We have a little dog and I love him and my girls spend every day giving him none stop attention. Their lives are so short it's awful to lose them. 

I remember growing up my mum and dad bought a Dalmatian, I know it's not a manly dog but I loved it. I got with the wife and moved out and three years later the dog had to be put down. 

I actually cried at work in the toilets when my mum rang me to tell me, I'm not ashamed to admit it. 

Edited by Red Devil

21 minutes ago, Red Devil said:

We have a little dog and I love him and my girls spend every day giving him none stop attention. Their lives are so short it's awful to lose them. 

I remember growing up my mum and dad bought a Dalmatian, I know it's not a manly dog but I loved it. I got with the wife and moved out and three years later the dog had to be put down. 

I actually cried at work in the toilets when my mum rang me to tell me, I'm not ashamed to admit it. 

Nor should you be ashamed to cry over the loss of a pet. I like Harold have been through this a few times and I have cried my share of tears. My oldest dog is 13 now and I know she won’t have long and it tears me apart the very thought of it 

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, Red Devil said:

My parents had a dog (Bess) it was a Collie, such a lovely dog, I moved out and it died 2 years after I left. She lost her balance and fell down the stairs and injured herself. I too cried, you get a lot of memories from pets and the bonds I get with them are very strong.

9 hours ago, UNIQUE said:

it seems to me that the cat had a long happy life with harold and the good lady harold so i think they should give a rescue cat the same happy life this cat got. 👍

I understand what you're saying mate but we still have one with us. Both this one (Sooty) and Leo were strays who adopted us. Leo was actually dumped by his previous owners before they moved. Neither the wife nor me can go through this anymore, albeit we will have to with Sooty. We do the Cats Protection lottery and we donate cat food to the nearest shelter on a regular basis so we still help out in some form. Jesus, the tears are rolling typing this and having read the posts.