Crazy traditions/competitions

Guest Red Devil

Guest Red Devil

Watched a show on Netflix last night about crazy traditional competitions, the first episode was about the Gloucestershire Cheese run down Coopers Hill. Every year the men and women race down a hill that steep they end up cartwheeling and flipping down often breaking bones. It's a tradition that has gone on for centuries in the area.

Got me thinking and we have one just outside of Manchester that's just as crazy the Bury black pudding throwing championship, contestants get three throws at a platform with black puddings in an attempt to knock off the most Yorkshire puddings. 

Any traditions or competitions near you that are unusual?

only tradition round here is the teenage scum seeing who can cause the most damage, especially by starting fires, to various items erected locally to try and give the nature areas a nice look.

Serious though....nah there's fuck all in my neck of the woods.

Guest Red Devil
4 minutes ago, Bastion said:

Well, we enjoy tradition in this part of the island... but nothing springs to mind regarding the cheese chasers, that's mental.

May 31st it's on this year, said to the wife last night I wouldn't mind going to watch that. 

It's free to compete as well, I'd have a go at it myself to say that I've done it but I think I'd be tempted to take it easy and be happy I took part rather than risk breaking my neck on the way down. 

1 minute ago, Red Devil said:

May 31st it's on this year, said to the wife last night I wouldn't mind going to watch that. 

It's free to compete as well, I'd have a go at it myself to say that I've done it but I think I'd be tempted to take it easy and be happy I took part rather than risk breaking my neck on the way down. 

Seen a program on it myself, its fucking mental....  young mans/woman's game,  leave them to it fs.

They'd be throwing me in a wheelbarrow at the bottom...

Guest Red Devil
17 minutes ago, Bastion said:

Seen a program on it myself, its fucking mental....  young mans/woman's game,  leave them to it fs.

They'd be throwing me in a wheelbarrow at the bottom...

I've just sent the wife a Whatsapp claiming I've entered this years competition. 

Her reply is similar to what you've just wrote, your too old, you have plates in you legs already. The paramedics will be waiting for you at the bottom. 

Still like to witness the event though. 

1 hour ago, Red Devil said:

Watched a show on Netflix last night about crazy traditional competitions, the first episode was about the Gloucestershire Cheese run down Coopers Hill. Every year the men and women race down a hill that steep they end up cartwheeling and flipping down often breaking bones. It's a tradition that has gone on for centuries in the area.

Got me thinking and we have one just outside of Manchester that's just as crazy the Bury black pudding throwing championship, contestants get three throws at a platform with black puddings in an attempt to knock off the most Yorkshire puddings. 

Any traditions or competitions near you that are unusual?

29 minutes ago, Bastion said:

Well, we enjoy tradition in this part of the island... but nothing springs to mind regarding the cheese chasers, that's mental.

It was actually banned by the council years ago (not sure if it still is) but the chasers done it unofficially....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-27111592

2 minutes ago, Red Devil said:

I've just sent the wife a Whatsapp claiming I've entered this years competition. 

Her reply is similar to what you've just wrote, your too old, you have plates in you legs already. The paramedics will be waiting for you at the bottom. 

Still like to witness the event though. 

only cheese chasing I would be doing is the bits that fall out of my rolls.

I used to live in Leicestershire and there was a tradition between 2 villages called "bottle kicking". Basically a barrel would be thrown into the crowd at the centre point between the villages of Hallaton and Medbourne. Whichever village managed to get the bottle (barrel) back to their village was the winner. The rules are - no eye-gouging, no strangling, no weapons. People get broken bones, people get kicked in the head.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottle-kicking

OIP.NBi4Em9sJBbgmKhpRpwYKgHaE7?pid=ImgDe

OIP.LieY_s1_khtQYbK45t9qGgHaFF?pid=ImgDe

OIP.T6NYFYtYBIdMLDqePvPcdgHaE0?pid=ImgDe

Guest Red Devil
20 minutes ago, Gasworks_Gus said:

I used to live in Leicestershire and there was a tradition between 2 villages called "bottle kicking". Basically a barrel would be thrown into the crowd at the centre point between the villages of Hallaton and Medbourne. Whichever village managed to get the bottle (barrel) back to their village was the winner. The rules are - no eye-gouging, no strangling, no weapons. People get broken bones, people get kicked in the head.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottle-kicking

OIP.NBi4Em9sJBbgmKhpRpwYKgHaE7?pid=ImgDe

OIP.LieY_s1_khtQYbK45t9qGgHaFF?pid=ImgDe

OIP.T6NYFYtYBIdMLDqePvPcdgHaE0?pid=ImgDe

How far would the barrel need to move to travel to get back to a village?

Given the image you've just posted I could see that being a stalemate for a good few hours. 

Does one of the teams just basically give up in the end?

16 minutes ago, Red Devil said:

How far would the barrel need to move to travel to get back to a village?

Given the image you've just posted I could see that being a stalemate for a good few hours. 

Does one of the teams just basically give up in the end?

I think it's just over a mile in either direction. I only ever turned up once to have a look at the spectacle. 

Guest Red Devil
33 minutes ago, Gasworks_Gus said:

I think it's just over a mile in either direction. I only ever turned up once to have a look at the spectacle. 

It must go on for hours, if it has to travel a mile and the scrum is like that the whole way then I just don't see how it can end. 

55 minutes ago, Red Devil said:

It must go on for hours, if it has to travel a mile and the scrum is like that the whole way then I just don't see how it can end. 

Looks like it's only half a mile - the whole course is a mile in length. If they're able to get it out to a runner I guess that's the key.

Guest Red Devil

The World Gurning Championship

Traditionally he at Egermont Crab fair........ 

How can this be classed as a World Championship, its not like Brazil and Argentina send a team in to compete. 

Screenshot_20210427_130718.jpg

Guest Red Devil
5 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

in india they have a day where they throw cow shit at each other. 😄

Is that true? 

I know all about the coloured powder festival but cow shit.